Workboxes - I love them!!!


Just last week, I ran across the Workbox phenomenon, based on this idea by Sue Patrick. I read all 37 pages of a thread about it here on a homeschooling forum, and was hooked!

The basic idea is that you have shelves with open plastic bins labeled 1-12, and every day you fill them up with things for your child to do during the course of your homeschool. As they complete each box, they peel the Velcro number off it and put it on a chart, and move on to the next. There is a very visual progress throughout the day and sense of accomplishment, as well as it providing routine and structure. It also ensures that the "fun" projects and subjects have a place in the day.

I have adapted this idea for how I think it will work for my family. I prefer drawers over shelves and open boxes, especially since this is sitting right in the middle of my living room. I also prefer drawers because they can actually hold a textbook or papers without bending them. It's not a finished product yet, as I am waiting for this to arrive from Amazon - it will hold completed work from each child, as well as folders for 6 of their subjects/projects for the day.

Oh, and doing this gave me an excuse to buy a laminator! I spent a happy evening laminating everything in sight for this. (: I made about 28 different categories of cards with titles and clipart, as well as labels for the drawers for each kid, and "with Mom" or "with Bro" labels for the drawers where they will be doing something with me or each other. Here is a picture of the cards that aren't in use today, along with a kid who likes his picture taken:

And here is where I store them for the moment when they're not in use (I love these cute boxes from Hobby Lobby!):


Here are pictures of how our workboxes are set up for today. The drawers are doubled up for now, but won't be once I have folders set up on top of the drawers. I'm just picturing Colin's, since Spencer's is very similar (some differences in the books and items I put in - for example, his cooking has measuring cups instead of a cake mix, but essentially the same).

Drawer 1 (Reading time with an assigned book and a timer set for 60 minutes; Gospel Study time with a worksheet and reader; since this is the first drawer of the day I also put a pencil and Colin's reading glasses.):

Drawer 2 (First Language Lessons for the Well-Trained Mind, Writing with Excellence, and All About Spelling):

Drawer 3 (student pages from SRA Real Math, and time to do an educational game on the computer):

Drawer 4 (A science experiment kit that Colin gets to choose a project from for us to do; and a reminder to practice their piano):

Drawer 5 (We're making a cake for Greg's birthday celebration tomorrow; recesss; and wrapping birthday presents and making cards):

Drawer 6 (Reading time from Sonlight Core 1 and Story of the World; for Lego Time they get to go play in their Lego closet):


This system has worked SO well for us (even those of us who are easily distracted) that I'm strongly considering making cards for myself to put on my computer desk to visually prompt me through the things I should be doing: "Make a phone call you've been putting off!" "Pay bills!" "Update blog!" "Call a friend!" "Go exercise!" . . . you know, it just might work! (:

Comments

judahmo said…
I just discovered the workbox system too! I like the drawers that you used. I'm still debating which way to go. I'm not sure if I could put books in a box and have them get bent!

I'm intrigued by the Lego closet! Do you have any photos of that up? We're always looking for the *perfect* Lego organizing system! LOL!

Thanks for sharing what you've done with the workboxes!
Shannon
CourtneyB said…
Shannon - I'll post pictures of the Lego closet sometime soon. It's just a Kidkraft table for them to work on and lots of drawers and buckets to hold the Legos - but pictures work better than descriptions for this!
Remodelaholic said…
Wow- I think this is an awesome idea! It would even be good for younger kids, to give them some more sturcture and projects fora day, instead of always looking to mom to entertain. I LOVE it! although, it does seem hard to have to think of new things to put in there everyday... I am filing this idea as to- do for sure! I will also have to tell my sister about it who also homeschools.
CourtneyB said…
Cass, that is exactly what a lot of people do! I think this would be a wonderful way to help entertain younger ones - especially for those trying to homeschool older children!

There are lists out there with ideas, and some of them are specific to young children or Pre-K. Things like lacing cards or beads, simple puzzles, board books, crayons, or really anything you'd give your child to entertain or educate them could go in the boxes!
Anonymous said…
Is there anything you don't do? How amazing, I am beyond impressed. Where did you get the file drawers? There awesome.
Thanks for sharing.
CourtneyB said…
Oh Emily, you're sweet. There are MANY things I don't do, and even more that I do but don't do well. (: I got the file drawers for $10 each at Wal-Mart (the tower is a stack of four sets of drawers). They're great drawers for scrapbooking, too, since they're 12x12!
Kirchner Family said…
Wow - that is awesome! Before you know it you will be the one to call on for How to get organized! I think your boys will love it!
Rice Family said…
Maria, I LOVE this idea!!! I am envisioning drawers with summer activities for the kids to do so I don't have to go through the "Mom, I'm bored, what can we do. . ." conversation all summer. THANKS SO MUCH for sharing this!
clicker59 said…
Maria I like that idea especially on The reading scriptures as well as practicing Piano maybe you can set up a time for me to practice since I am getting ready to get back in to Piano Lessons and I need to be able to get back in to practicing my self so I will be in a routine before I start back in Piano Lessons. And Who Is teaching your boys Piano Lessons?
Twinmomwv said…
I love it! I'm just starting to homeschool this summer and this is the perfect way for me to start off on the right foot. Thanks for everything you do, this is a great blog! Do you mind if I add you to my blogroll?
CourtneyB said…
Thanks, everyone! Twimmomwv, you are certainly welcome to add this to your blogroll, though it's usually about family stuff versus homeschooling stuff. (:
Anonymous said…
I like the cards you've made and all you shared in this post. We're considering the work box system.
Anonymous said…
You did a wonderful job with the cards. Can you share how you did them? I'm fairly computer illiterate...did you buy the clip art or was it free? Thanks for posting how you implemented the system. It looks great.
Julie said…
Thanks for posting pictures! I came over when you answered my question on the WTM forum.

Mostly I love the fact that this 'gave you an excuse to buy a laminator' because I was staring lovingly at the laminator at Target the other day just wondering HOW I could justify buying one!

Thanks again for sharing! Julie
CourtneyB said…
You're welcome! That laminator from Target has come in really handy - especially now that I'm doing file folder games! I will say that refills (a different brand) are MUCH cheaper at Sam's - something like $20 for 200.
Julie said…
Well, I've had so much fun getting our workboxes ready AND LAMINATED!!! Oh, the joy that laminating brings me! My husband is only sad that he didn't get it for me for Christmas years ago so he could get the credit...smile...

Thanks again for your tips - I found the lamination sheets at Sam's, and thankfully haven't gone through ALL of them yet...