A sad farewell


 I've been meaning to update my blog for MONTHS . . . and this is not the post I wanted to have to update it with.  My oldest sister Becca lost her husband of 23 years - Jon Johnson - last week to a massive heart attack.  Here's the obituary written by my niece Barbie:

Jon Stephan Johnson Sr., 46, passed away June 21st, 2012. He is survived by his loving wife Rebecca, children John Jr., Christopher, Barbara, and Wulfgang, and parents Cecil Johnson and Barbara Board. He was as passionately in love with his wife as the day they were married, and family was the most important part of his life. He was a talented musician, and played drums since he was three. Services are open to all who loved him. Viewing at Davis Chapel Funeral Home Tues. 6-8pm, graveside service at Jaybird Cemetery Wed. 11am, memorial at LDS Church in Hurst Wed. 1:30-3pm.

There were lots of family and friends at the viewing, graveside service, and memorial.  Here are just a few glimpses of the different events.

Sandi (my brother Clark's wife), Wulfie, and Becca.  Some brilliant person brought Wulfie a push pop, and it helped a lot in keeping him occupied for the two hours of the viewing.
Daniel (Barbie's boyfriend), Barbie, Ashley (friend of the family), and Chris saying goodbye to Jon.
Becca saying goodbye to her best friend. 
Brandon (friend of family) and Chris comforting each other after Brandon gave the eulogy.

Greg and Jaden at the graveside service.  It was HOT, and he wasn't very happy - he went home for a nap after this, which is why Greg and Jaden don't appear in the memorial pictures later.
Friends and family listening during the graveside service.
Colin hugging Becca after the graveside service.  The boys have been wonderful during all this - always there with a hug when I'm crying. 


This was the first time our family had gotten together in a while, so there were new babies to meet.  This is Clark meeting our new niece Esmerelda.
The display table at the memorial service, with Jon's flute, drumsticks, a drum, penguins (he loved penguins!  I will think of him every time I see one for the rest of my life), and pictures of his family he loved so much.

Some of my brother Fred's kids signing in at the memorial - Stephanie, David, and Jenny.
Sandi with two nieces - Natalie and Kathy.
Daniel, Barbie, Becca and Chris while watching the video Barbie prepared.  It had photos of Jon, and songs he'd played on the flute.  It was truly beautiful.
Lots of people got up and spoke, with memories of Jon, comfort for the family, and so on.  It was very uplifting.  Bishop Hamilton (below) presided, and he wrapped it up by saying that what he'd heard made him want to go home and be a better father, husband and person.  What a great legacy for Jon to leave.
We got to visit some more with family after the service.  Colin was ecstatic to find he's actually taller than his aunt Maggie.
I got to hold the new babies - this one is Andrew, my niece Andrea's baby.
Jon's family: Chris, Wulfie, Daniel, Barbie, Becca, John Jr, Blair
 The Bassett siblings (missing Brenda, whose health wasn't up to traveling): Becca, Fred, Clark, Maria
Fred C, Becca, Fred B, Maggie, Sandi, Clark, Maria, Louise
Descendents of Fred C: Brandon, Fred C, Freddie, Colin, Kathy, Becca, Spencer, Maggie, Fred B, Esmerelda, Sandi, Stephanie, Clark, Jenny, Natalie, Michael, Louise, David, Barbie, Andrea, Andrew, Maria, Chris, John Jr, and Blair
It is so sad to say goodbye to a family member, especially one so young (46 seems a lot younger to me than it used to).  I'm so thankful for the knowledge that the gospel gives me that this life is not the end, and that we will see Jon again.  I'm also thankful for all the family, friends, neighbors and church members that have come forward to support Becca and her family during this difficult time.

I was inspired by the stories of the love and loyalty shown by Jon to those around him.  I'm going to go forward and try to make more of a difference with my own life, so that I can leave a legacy of love and service behind when it is my time to go.



Comments

April said…
What a lovely post. I met Jon just once, when I was visiting your family with Adam. I'm so sorry that Rebecca and your entire family is going through this. It reminds you that life is so precious and can end at any moment.