Lovell, WY

I don't know if I've mentioned this already, but the reason I was going to Wyoming with my dad and leaving my kids in Utah is to help him get an old RV running that had been up there for 11 years. I don't know how much help I ended up being, but we had fun together!

Here's Dad at the little table we ate at. We were staying in the unoccupied farmhouse that had belonged to his parents. It was fun to hear all of his memories as we walked around the farm and went to town. I heard stories he'd definitely never told me before!



This is my dad's first cousin Allan Clark checking out our old Pontiac. Allan was a lifesaver - he helped us out so much in getting the RV running! I don't think I've ever met a nicer guy.

Here's Dad and the RV, the first day we were working on it. You can barely see Allan's boots under there - he was helping blow air through the fuel line. Turns out that cutter bees had gotten into the fuel line and clogged it up. Who knew? I'd never even heard of them before!



Eventually we cleared out the shop enough to pull the RV forward so we could work in the shade. That improved conditions quite a bit. Check out those clouds! I felt like I could see forever there.



This is the tombstone of my great-great-grandfather, Lt. Harlow Gillette Bassett. It was neat to visit the Kane Cemetery and see the graves of ancestors I barely knew existed. Being there, where they lived, and hearing stories from people who still remembered them, awoke a hitherto unsuspected passion for family history in me. Over the next year, I'll be working on a book to compile memories and pictures of my paternal grandfather and grandmother.



Here is Dad with his aunt Helen Walker. She is the sister to my paternal grandfather Fred T. Bassett. She will be celebrating her 100th birthday next month! She is sharp as a whip, and still lives on her own. I hope I'm in as good of a shape if I ever attain anywhere near that age! She remembers going on a 10-day wagon ride when she was five years old for her parents to be sealed in the Logan temple. I'll be putting that in my book. (:



This is Dad at the Devil's Canyon overlook. It's a lot prettier than the picture shows. We had fun driving around the mountains on Sunday and enjoying the scenery.



Here is my aunt Donella - Dad's sister - and her husband Mike, and granddaugher Alyssa.



I don't care for pictures of me, but just to prove I was really there, here's one of me. Behind me, in the tall grass, is the irrigation ditch that I got to wade thigh-high in to undo the dam. That was an adventure in and of itself!

Comments