Park City's Alpine Slide & Coaster

On Friday, August 3rd our family along with Grandma & Grandpa Whitehead and Aunt Shauna (my sister) drove up to Park City to try out the Alpine Slide & Coaster. I've been on the slide maybe 2 or 3 times in my life and had suggested going before our trip. In looking it up I found there was also something called the Alpine Coaster that I'd never seen before.


Here's Grandma, Grandpa, Shauna, & Colin as we waited in line for the Alpine Slide. To reach the slide we have to ride up the mountain in a ski lift.


Here we are riding up the ski lift.


Looking down behind us is the slide heading to the bottom of the mountain and the chair behind us holding Grandma, Grandpa, and Shauna.


At the top we loaded ourselves on to the sleds and readied ourselves for the trip.

Grandpa seemed tired out even before we started. As soon as we were allowed, we pushed ourselves over the edge and down the mountain. It was an exhilarating ride and extremely fun.

After the trip down the slide we headed over to the coaster where we waited in line again.


Here are Maria and Shauna posing as we waited to ride the coaster.

Unlike the slide, the coaster cart actually starts at the bottom of the mountain where you climb in and ride up the mountain pulled by a series of cables. At the top you are let go and zoom down the mountain at high-speed going around circles and turns like a real roller coaster (minus any upside-down loop-de-loops.) It was also really fun, slightly edging out the Alpine slide for my favorite ride.

We didn't get any really good pictures of the slide itself, but I did find someone's random YouTube video of the event for anyone interested in seeing what it was like:



The whole morning was just a beautiful cool summer day and after enjoying the two rides we headed back to the car to go find some lunch. It started sprinkling on us as we walked back, and then as we got into the car, suddenly it began dumping rain. We made it just in the nick of time. I felt really sorry for all the people that were still there waiting for the rides since the ride operators made it clear there were no rain checks.

We found some lunch at a BBQ restaurant where I found my long lost twin brother at the counter:


For those of you in Utah or who get a chance to visit, I would highly recommend going to Park City and riding the slide and coaster. It's not very cheap ($22 to ride both) but well worth it for the fun and the gorgeous scenery.

More event recaps to come...

Comments

Jeffrey said…
I've tried twice to go on some of those rides and have been deterred by weather. I also wanted to try the zipline too, though it may have been harder to get little kids on there. Wish I could have been there with the family.