The trip to Utah - and Wyoming

On July 23rd, at around 5:30 a.m. (crazy, I know!), our minivan loaded with Colin, Spencer, my parents, and me, pulled out of our driveway and headed for Utah. Greg had to stay and work for another week or so - he flew up August 1st to join everyone. We stayed a night in New Mexico, and the next day passed one of Colin's favorite places - "Hole in the Rock." He told us when he was four that he was going to live there someday. Here's a couple of pictures of the kids climbing around.





We finally got to the Whiteheads (Greg's parents) house in West Jordan in the evening on July 24th. The kids, of course, immediately went to try out the swingset in the backyard:



After an all-too-short sleep, and after saying goodbye to my kids (whom their grandparents were kindly watching), my parents and I headed up to Logan to drop off my mom at her sister Marilyn's, and then my dad and I continued on what was SUPPOSED to be another 7 or 8 hour drive. What we didn't count on was the torrential rain we encountered in the Grand Tetons - I could barely see through the windshield, and there were ice shards at one point - it dropped about 25 degrees in less than 15 minutes! - which caused a landslide at the East Gate of Yellowstone. We had to drive another few hours to get out of the Northeast Gate in Montana, and would have gladly stopped at a hotel, had anyone had rooms available. We finally got to Cody, WY at about 11:30 at night - and found what seemed like the last hotel in town with a room! We were glad to finally be off the road. We did see some gorgeous scenery before it got dark, and some interesting wildlife - like this buffalo, sauntering down the two-lane road and causing a major traffic jam:

Comments