Adventures in bike riding

I have a confession to make. It's probably not much of a confession, because I'm pretty sure most people already know this about me - I'm a little overprotective of my kids. I've backed off a lot from how I was when they were younger, but there are certain things that are really hard for me, and deliberately putting them into a position where they're almost certainly going to get hurt is something I just can't do.

So yes, my kids are probably the only kids their age in the US who don't yet know how to ride a bike without training wheels.

Greg finally took matters into his own hands and brought the boys to the church parking lot while I was at a friend's house, and got them appropriately suited up and attempted to instruct them in the mysterious ways of balance and pedaling and all that stuff. I drove up just in time to take this picture:


. . . and then got to see Colin do a spectacular crash in which he flew headfirst off the bike and landed all entangled and stuff. I stayed long enough to make sure he wasn't seriously hurt, and then volunteered to go pick up lunch for everyone at McDonald's. I'm just too much of a wimp to stick around and watch people get hurt - especially when you substitute "people" with "Colin and Spencer."

When I came back, it was Spencer's turn. Spencer took to it a little better, I think. He proudly informed me that he'd ridden by himself for SEVENTEEN WHOLE SECONDS! He rode like a pro until he approached a curb, or a person, or some other obstacle, and then he would waver with indecision just long enough to crash into it. He was getting better about turning by the time we left, though.







That was a month ago. I'm sure they could use a follow-up lesson, but I'm not going to be the one to go do it! (:

Comments

Sharla said…
Yeah, posts!
We were just at the church tonight letting Talmage and Grant continue getting better at riding their bikes with training wheels (I think we're much further behind than you). They also had fun on the new scooters Grandma bought them. Oh so spoiled. It looks like Spencer was doing really well though!
Cindy Killebrew said…
These are great pictures! Way to go boys!