Colin's THIRD (and hopefully last!) surgery

Colin started complaining of a sudden stomach pain around 5:15 yesterday. I offered him some food (figured he was hungry), but he wasn't interested, so he curled up on the couch. At around 5:45, he said he was shaking and I realized he had a low fever, so I gave him some Motrin. I had to leave to go visiting teaching then, but when I came back a little over an hour later, his fever was much higher and the pain was still constant. At that point, I started to worry.

To make a long story short, after a call to our doctor, we went to Cook's Children's ER at 9 pm. By 11:15 we were in a room, by 12:00 he was having an ultrasound of his appendix, and by 2:30 the results came back that he did indeed have a swollen appendix and would need surgery. Poor Colin - he was devastated by the news. I did some pretty fast talking to find some good things about it for him (like getting presents, and a cool scar, and missing some school!).

By 5 am we finally were checked into a room upstairs and settled in for a couple of hours of sleep. Greg came to relieve me mid-morning, so I could go home and take a shower and nap some more. The surgery happened around 2 pm, and Colin seems to be recovering fine (though mostly he's just sleeping - thank goodness - he needs it!).

It looks like he will be here in the hospital for another day or two. I'll probably be here during the day and Greg at night, for the time being. Feel free to call or drop by or whatever!

Comments

Gumby said…
Maria was signed in as me when she posted this from my laptop at the hospital. So it says I made the post, but it was Maria who wrote it.
Sharla said…
Poor Colin, what a trooper! I hope he deals well with the hospital stay! We'll be checking in later to see how things are going!
The Gee Six said…
I'm so glad that everything went okay! Modern medicine is amazing! Let us know if there is anything you guys need!
randivon said…
Ah man... that sounds like so much not fun! Way to be a trooper Collin! Just out of curiousity, what were the other surgery's?
CourtneyB said…
Randi, Colin had surgery at almost 2 (chordee correction/circumcision) and then at 6 (tonsils out). He really has been amazing through this - so upbeat! He's still doing well today and is getting ready to get up and walk around.
Cindy Killebrew said…
He is going to be so tuff and a great scar to show. Let me know if you need anything.
loves2spin said…
Poor Colin! I'm sure he'll bounce back quickly. Did he get any cool presents?