Tally Hall


I'm not sure what has happened, but for some reason Maria and I have had opportunities to go out and play a little more than we normally do. First our Vegas trip a couple weeks ago, and now this week we did something we haven't done in years: we went to a rock concert. I believe the last one we went to was Polyphonic Spree a few years ago, but that was an outdoor "Concert in the Park" slightly snooty affair. This was a concert in a club. Much like some of the smaller venues where I used to play with my band back in "the day."

Anyway, the band we went to see is Tally Hall. A band we've enjoyed for several years, which, if I had to describe them, are a cross between They Might Be Giants ("Birdhouse In Your Soul") and Barenaked Ladies ("One Week"). They have a very smart sense of humor, some brilliant songwriting, and some really great harmony-laden songs. My brother Jeffrey went to one of their shows a few months ago in California (where he got me a shirt that he had signed by the band) and told me it was really great and then later let me know they were scheduled to play in Dallas.


("Good Day" video by Tally Hall)

So Monday night Maria and I drove out to Dallas for the show at the House of Blues. Apparently there's two venues there. This was the smaller side venue for the less-important acts. But that was okay, because the small venue and somewhat small crowd actually made for a very comfortable show. One of the reasons neither Maria nor I go to concerts much anymore is because many of them are just so uncomfortable and loud.

Tally Hall were really great and very funny. Their songs are often very elaborate, and they were able to translate them all to a live performance, which was pretty impressive. There are five members and all but the drummer sing and/or harmonize in each song. I really love bands that can actually sing and not just play loudly.


("Bananman" video by Tally Hall)

They played about 12 songs, which since they only have one album, ended up being most of the album plus a few other random songs. The band just recently got signed to a major label and went back and re-recorded their first CD and re-released it. I had their first CD, but bought the new one at the concert--even though it's all the same songs--because I was hoping I could get it signed by the band. Plus they were giving away a card for three new songs that I could download when I got home. I figured the $10 for a CD was worth it for three songs and band signatures.

After they finished, the next band came on. It's been a while since I've been to a show this small, so it was weird to see the next band basically come out of the crowd to go up to the stage and set up. This band was called De Novo Dahl, and unlike Tally Hall, they were loud and noisy. We would have left immediately, except that Tally Hall had promised they'd be hanging around during and after the next band. So while the other band was up screaming on stage, we made our rounds to each Tally Hall member to say (shout) hi and get them to sign my CD. De Novo Dahl weren't really that bad, just loud and much less polished than Tally Hall. In fact, I rather like their current single:


(Other band De Novo Dahl)

Like any concert, we left with our ears ringing, but it was still fun to go out enjoy some fun music and jump up and down in a small crowd for a few hours. Hopefully it won't be another few years before we get to do it again.

Comments

Sharla said…
You two are acting like teenagers these days (or at least like a couple without kids)! It looks like a fun band! I'm glad you guys have gotten to do some cool things recently!
Cindy Killebrew said…
Ahh, to have older children! You guys are livin' the life!