Colin's version of going to the hospital


This is Colin's story of how he went to the hospital (with just a tiny bit of editing by Mom and Dad):

I did all my chores and then I went to play Rayman, and when I was done I was laying on the couch hurting. And I was really hurting and I didn’t want to drink 7-Up. And I had a big temperature and then Maria left and when she came back my temperature went up and then it was getting close to bedtime and I was still hurting right here on my appendix and then Brother Durkovich came over and said a prayer with Dad and then I left to go to the hospital, but before that Spencer came out crying because he wanted to come with me.

I thought I’d throw up in the hospital and in one or two hours at the hospital I threw up in a bag. I came to an emergency room for a while and I just couldn’t go to sleep. I watched lots of cartoons with Mom. Then they told me I had to have my appendix out and I got really scared.

I got moved to a different room and then next day I had a little bit of sleep and I got hooked up to machines. Dad came and we waited and played video games. I heard that there was a really cool play area and I was excited and I wanted to go there, and we went there for a minute. I had to be in a wheelchair hooked to a machine and I got drove to the playground and I got to see drums and a guitar and I got to see an eel and other fish, and I saw a crab and I called it Mr. Krabs from Spongebob. And then we went back to my room, and I’m pretty sure we had a duel then.

And then the doctor came and talked to me, and another lady came and talked to me about the smell I could have for my operation and I chose watermelon and cherry. The men came in and moved my whole bed and took me to another room. There was a movie on and the girl had to have her appendix out. (Note from Greg: The pre-op room was playing the Disney Channel on a TV over the bed, and by complete coincidence the show that was on featured a story line about a girl who had appendicitis just like Colin.) And then it was time for me to have my appendix out. I went into this surgery room and I was pretty scared and they gave me this drug that would help me not be scared but would make me not remember the room, and so I went in the room and I couldn’t see anything, and so they put me to sleep and I couldn’t even smell it.

And I woke up with my appendix out and went back to the room and then got a Flame Wingman toy that was just sitting out on the table. (Note from Maria: this was really funny. Greg and I had brought a Yu-Gi-Oh toy from Vegas that we had in our bags to give to Colin after surgery. When we got back to the room after surgery, it was sitting on the table, though Greg hadn't put it there. We were both confused, because we were SURE the toy also had some Yu-Gi-Oh cards with it, only they weren't there. The next day, Greg was digging through his bags and found the same toy still there -- it turns out the hospital had given him the exact same thing!)


(another note from Maria: Colin on Morphine is pretty entertaining!)

And then Spencer came and saw me and he gave me three presents.


Then they said that I had to stay there over the night and I slept for about one hour and I had to use the bathroom but I was hooked to two machines so I keeped on waking Greg up so I could have help using the bathroom. (Greg's note: At one point in the middle of the night I reminded Colin that if he needed anything like a drink or if he was hungry that he could always call the nurse using the button on his bed. He said, "That's okay. I'd rather let them help all the other kids who need it. I don't want to treat anyone like a servant or anything.")

The next day they unplugged me from the machines!

I got to go to the play area again and played Guitar Hero on a giant TV and there was a four years old and a three years old and the three years old was pretending he was playing. It was cool playing on a giant TV.

I played a YuGiOh duel with Dad.


I watched TV and everyone kept telling me to eat and drink but I didn’t want to.

And then the doctor came and said I could go home as long as I would drink. Then I walked to the elevator with Mom and a nurse and I got to go home.

the end!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

Jeffrey said…
Except for getting sick, being scared, and having to have your appendix out, it sounds like a lot of fun!

We're glad you're well.

- Jeffrey, Melissa, and Parker
Sharla said…
It's great to hear the story from Colin. Kids have such a different story of what's going on or what was important about it all. Fun stuff (glad he's doing well!)
April said…
I'm glad he okay and everything went well with the surgery. His story is so cute! Does he actually call you "Maria & Greg"? I had to laugh at that!
Donelle said…
What a brave boy. Glad he is doing well and Nicolas is just so excited that he will be able to come play laser tag!