Spencer

This is a picture Spencer took of himself a couple of weeks ago, right after he'd lost three teeth:



He is such a hoot. We were in Barnes and Noble earlier this month, and there was a little boy following Spencer around the whole time. Spencer decided he wanted a book about King Tut, so I gave him money and sent him to the checkout line (hovering near in case he needed help), and he ended up in line behind this little boy's family. As far as I recall, their conversation went something like this:

Spencer: "How old are you?"
Boy: "I'm FIVE!"
Spencer: "Well, I'm SIX. I'm older than you."
(small talk for a little while)
Spencer (apparently deciding that, being older and wiser, he should pass on some wisdom): "If there's something you want to do and you think it's bad to do, don't do it. If you ever do something and your parents tell you it's wrong, don't do it again. And if you ever do something and it makes you feel bad inside, you'll know it's wrong. Don't do it again. I want you - no, I CHALLENGE you - to dare to choose the right!"

I was torn between laughter and tears at this point. It was hilarious, but at the same time it sobering to realize how much Spencer is internalizing of what we're teaching him. What a good little missionary he is! (:

Comments

Sharla said…
That makes me laugh! Spencer is a very independant little boy. He'll be a great missionary some day! What a great kid!