Reality time!

Last night a friend mentioned feeling like everyone else had interesting lives that they posted on their blogs, and she didn't. We started talking about what it would be like if people posted about their actual reality, and not just the interesting parts. So, here's my post about some of my reality:

Laundry.

I would say that laundry is the bane of my existence, but that's not quite true. I'm quite capable of ignoring it for days on end, and I don't know if you can ignore a bane. We have some built-in cupboards right by the laundry room that are very handy for separating colors from whites. The problem starts when the laundry gets big enough that it spills out and starts creeping across the floor towards my bedroom.

Before it gets too bad, I take the five minutes (WHY is it so hard for me to get around to this?) to start a load of laundry and walk away. I always set the buzzer, but if I'm in the middle of something and ignore it, chances are that laundry will sit there . . . and sit there . . . and sit there . . . usually until I have to wash it again. (I think my record is three times over the course of a week for the same wet load of laundry!)

Eventually, though, it makes it to the dryer. There it usually sits until another load of laundry kicks it out. From there it goes a short distance to my bed (or, worse, stays in the basket until it acquires a kind of cube shape that stays even when I dump it out). If I'm really on a roll of washing laundry, the bed turns into a mountain of clean clothes that the kids want to climb (which I discourage, since it starts the process all over again). This one isn't too bad . . . just two loads.

After that, ideally I take the time to sort into piles or baskets for individual family members. (Not ideally, I forget all about it until bedtime, and shove it all off the bed to the side so I can sleep.) You would think that would end this less-than-interesting laundry saga, but no . . .

It sits around in a basket for even MORE days, usually until someone needs it or I insist that it gets put away. Here is a basket of clean clothes that I think has been sitting on the kids' bedroom floor for over a week now. (The pile of toys and stuff in their room around the basket is a reality for another time . . . )

I'd like to say that I've now resolved to become a reformed person and to immediately wash, dry, sort and put away my laundry on a daily basis . . . but hey, this is a post about reality! (:

Comments

Donelle said…
The thing is...laundry never ends. Even if you finish it all...you get ready for bed that night and then there is more laundry to do. Why can't it just stop for a short period of time. I do love that my kids are big enough to put their own away. Pretty soon they will be doing it all:)
Cindy Killebrew said…
I want a housekeeper just to do my laundry!
Rice Family said…
ugghh, laundry! I don't think it's too terrible to sort and wash, but folding and putting away always get me (hence the large amount of clean clothes in a pile residing on my bedroom floor). Then we have another problem-- IRONING. all because the clothes were not folded and put away in a timely matter.
randivon said…
Yes... definitely want a housekeeper! Laundry is the bane of my existence... I hate it but CJ will tell you that I will not let him do it because he does not do it right. It is true. Ugh!
Anonymous said…
Can I just say thank you for showing me this, now I can sleep a little better tonight knowing that pushing the clothes off my bed to sleep isn't a bad thing after all
Sharla said…
I feel like I have commented about this already... humm. Laundry is a pain and I'm just glad that I can get the kids to help most of the time. I have goals of getting it all done in one day (I did 4 loads yesterday!) and realistically it takes 2. Oh well, the joys of motherhood :)
Dalton Family said…
Maria, I love you! Thanks for the reality.
loves2spin said…
You have to realize, Maria, that clean laundry needs to age properly IN the baskets before being put away. Weep not. You're doing it all properly!
April said…
Hey, I just tagged you on my blog, check it out!
Jennifer said…
I had a load sit in the washer for 5 days last week! I have a trick, though. I do a second rinse with a little white vinegar and that gets rid of the smell without rewashing. ;)