The proposal - an explanation

Since a friend commented on my last post wanting more details, I thought I'd share some of the story behind the proposal.

Greg and I both lived in BYU housing in Provo - though he had graduated that Spring and I never went (I worked at Novell - I was just there for the social life!) . Greg and I had already talked about marriage - we'd looked at rings, and we'd even looked at the calendar and talked about a possible date - but nothing was certain yet. We'd been friends for a long time, but had only "officially" been dating since September 20th, and he'd mentioned that there was no way he was going to propose before dating for at least a month, so no, I wasn't expecting him to pop the question that night!

On Wednesday nights Greg had band practice up in Salt Lake (he was the keyboardist for a band called Piper Down - you can hear some of their songs at http://gwgumby.110mb.com/Sketch-Music2.htm), so I went over to a friend's house who "needed company" that night. I was surprised to find that her roommate was there, but they were fast talkers and I was gullible, so I still didn't suspect anything. After eating and hanging out for a while, I persuaded my friend Becky to go shopping with me. I bought a wedding planner, feeling like I was jumping the gun, and made her PROMISE not to tell Greg that I'd done so! On the way back to my apartment, I remember Becky asking me whether I knew that Greg was the one, and she seemed relieved when I answered in the affirmative.

When we rounded the corner from the garage into the common area between our apartments, the first person I saw was Jason, the drummer for Piper Down. I thought “Oh cool, they decided to play here for some reason.” Then I noticed that Greg was in a suit, and it hit me. Holy cow – he was going to propose! So yes, he totally took me by surprise - but in a good way. (:


Comments