Spencer gets stitches . . . again.

You never wake up in the morning and think, "I'd like to spend a few hours at the emergency room tonight." It's been happening more often than I prefer lately.

Last night, Spencer was dashing across the room and tripped on his bunkbed ladder, smashing his face into a corner of his desk. After staunching the blood for a while, I saw there was a hole right through the corner of his lip. He went into shock and was white and shaking; luckily our home teacher Matt happened to be there for dinner and helped Greg give him a priesthood blessing. I took him around the corner to a friend for his professional opinion (thanks, CJ!), which was that he definitely needed stitches, especially since the hole went all the way through.

So, after a fruitless trip to the Urgent Care Center (note: don't bother to go to the Urgent Care for facial wounds that need stitches - they won't do them!), we went to Cook's Children's which was PACKED. After a few hours we were able to get in and get Spencer fixed up with 8 stitches. He was such a trooper! He held perfectly still the whole time.

So, he'll have to be on a soft foods diet for a few days, but they did a great job and it looks like it will heal up nicely. It should go well with his forehead scar (chicks dig scars, right?). (:



Comments

Sharla said…
wow! That must have been some hole! Glad it's fixed and it will have plenty of time to heal before he is worried about girls :) (sure they dig scars). I can't even see his forehead scar... he heals well at least.
Cindy Killebrew said…
Yes, chicks dig scars! Guys love telling scar stories. What a trooper!
The Gee Six said…
Poor kid. I think you need to wrap him in bubble wrap! He's got great stories though!
Kirchner Family said…
Oh - this looks painful - so sorry buddy! I think he needs ice cream - that makes everything better!
April said…
Owww!!!! I'm glad he's okay! Don't you just love waiting for hours in the emergency room? I definitely like spending my time there! ;-)
Poor Colin! What a bummer! Emergency rooms are the worst!

Last month a stack of firewood fell on christopher's lip and split it really bad right below his nose.

We chose not to get it stitched up, but it has left a little nasty red looking scar.

Sometimes over the years, such scars will disappear! Maybe Colin's will too?
clicker59 said…
That sounds just like Tammy's kids when they they were little you won't believe how may times I had to baby sit her kids when 1 of them went to the ER for 1 reason or another. you can use liquid skin for those injuries as long as it doesn't have a hole big enough to need 3 stitches I had a eye injury nothing serious 5 years ago where I was online in a scheduled hosted chat where I had to leave to let my Cocker Spaniel Toby out to take care of business and being anxious to get back in to the chat I would prop up the child safety gate against the way and wasn't paying any attention and tripped on it and cut my eye open screaming I'm o.k I'm o.k. Tammy came and found me sitting in front of my bed room door holding my injured area and bleeding bad because Tammy worked around doctors she knew what to do so she went to the store and got me something to clean it up as well as liquid skin so when she and my mother went to visit my uncle who is her baby brother when he heard about the eye injury first thing out of her mouth was did she get a Billy Ed stitch we giggled we knew where his mind was I wasn't there but I heard about it what happened was my mother's best friend and my mother told my father and her husband that Billy Ed didn't need a 26 inch English Racer that has hand breaks but he got it for Christmas any how so while he was riding it a neighborhood kid called him and he looked back and ran in to a parked 18 wheeler sugar cane truck a piece of metal cut close to his eye luckily There was a medical doctor who lived next to us before we moved on to Ramey AFB and we lived across the street from the hospital that was scheduled to have open house on the night of the injury when I told my mother's best friend of my eye injury and my uncle's remark on that she giggled.