A colorful birthday surprise

Greg and I have been talking for months about painting our living room. We were really bored of the “Lemon Custard” whitish color that had been on all the walls since 2004. With Greg gone for 8 days on a trip, I thought it would be a great birthday surprise for him to come home to find the paint job already done!

I had grandiose visions of also doing lots of Spring cleaning while we were at it, so we kicked off the week by doing things like polishing the chandelier and cleaning out the fireplace. Spencer even got to go into the fireplace to wash the inside of the glass – he thought that was lots of fun!

I don't know why so many of these pictures turned out fuzzy. Grrr.


Colin and Spencer both got to try mowing for the first time. Since the mower is electric, it’s easy to push and stops instantly when you let go of the handle, so I wasn’t too worried about them. They would go in tiny spurts of 2-4 minutes and then stop. I think it may be a few years before they officially take over yard duty. (;

After painting some different colors on the walls and spending a couple of days asking everyone their opinion, they boys and I started work on Wednesday night on our entryway. The boys made up for their lack of expertise with their enthusiasm.



It’s been a few years since I’ve painted. I’d forgotten how grueling it is! I am so, so thankful to Cassity and Justin K. and Matt and Emily D. for coming and helping with the cause! Cassity even came by the next morning and helped me finish up the purple walls – she is amazing! Here are some pictures from the painting party and the results:






Not only did they paint, but Justin and Matt had to move my glass case – twice! That thing weighs a TON! They had to take their shoes off just to get enough traction. Thanks, guys! I’ll let you know when it’s time to move the next two (ha, ha, ha). (:

Here is a video of Greg coming home and seeing the results:

I still need to finish painting the living room and trim, but I am giving myself a break from painting for a while! (:

Thanks again to everyone for your opinions and support!

Comments

Sharla said…
I love the video! Greg's reaction was great. The colors turned out really good and it looks so professional... not like two boys helped :). Way to go, you deserve a break!
Kirchner Family said…
LOVE LOVE LOVE - the color!!!
Remodelaholic said…
Yeah! I think his reaction was great! And the rooms look FaBulous! I hope you are enjoying your break!
CourtneyB said…
Thanks everyone - and yes, I am very much enjoying my break! (:
The Gee Six said…
It looks awesome! I am very impressed. It really makes me want to paint something though. Oddly enough, I'm trying to figure out what I can paint purple . . . Hmmm, I wonder what gave me that idea? You rock!
April said…
I love the purple! I would have never chosen it (I'm not that daring) but it looks great!!!
Cindy Killebrew said…
I love it! You guys did a great job! I love Greg's reaction too!
clicker59 said…
That is so cute of them mowing the grass you are so right it will be several years before they will take over yard duty. Them getting tired doing that is part of their age factor ha ha
Anonymous said…
Thanks for letting me be a part of it. Spandex and all;) I really do think you made a good choice painting all of the dinning room!