Greg's Newest Painting or the Return of the Balloon Heads

Here's my latest painting:

If it seems familiar, you may be confusing it with this:
It's been several years since I've done a large piece of artwork. I've been mainly doing things on the computer. A few months ago, we had a talent show at church (which we previously blogged about here.) At that show I brought one of my old pictures for display which someone saw and told me they wanted to commission me to make another one just like it.

So after purchasing some new pencils and poster board, I reproduced my original picture (from 1992) over the weekend of General Conference in April. I did it freehand, so if you study the two pictures you'll see some definite differences between the two. Also, some of the pencil colors they had in 1990 are no longer in 2009's assortment, so I had to make some slight adjustments here and there.

Overall, I'm very proud of this recreation and glad I had the opportunity to revisit it. This is actually the third time I've done this picture. I recreated the same picture on a gray background to sell to some random person when I was a freshman in college and it was on display at the Salt Lake County Fair. Sadly, I don't think I ever took a picture of that finished project. At least this one is going into the home of a friend who has promised me a picture of it hanging up once it's framed and ready.

Comments