My Newest Song: "Black Rock"



(This is a mirror of my original post at http://gumbysynth.blogspot.com )

Here's my first fully original song that I put together with all my new equipment. The main synth sounds are almost all Korg R3. Some of the sounds are presets, most of the rest are either programmed from scratch or modified from the preset sounds. The drums come from the Roland JV-1080 as well as one or two minor synth sounds.

I've been playing around with the main theme for several months now, to the point that my 7 year old son has learned it and plays it regularly when he is on the keyboard. After coming up with the theme, I started to think of lyrics. Somehow after recently watching the terrible (and wonderful) movie "Troll 2" the idea of this poor dead ghost of a grandfather being forced to appear to his grandson to help him save his inept family from being eaten by goblins (not trolls despite the title) was on my mind and inspired the lyrics. They are only loosely based on the story, but since it was a source of inspiration, I included random images from the movie in the YouTube video. Feel free to ignore the video and just listen instead.

A link to the mp3 itself can be found here:

Finally, I have a lot of experience with writing music, and some of recording, but I have little-to-no experience mixing. So if anyone out there who sees this and has any comments to share in helping with getting a better final mix, I'd love to hear it.

Comments

You did a wonderful job! I love it! Keep up the good work!
Jon said…
Impressive Greg. Troll 2 was a GREAT movie! (sarcasm of course)