Greg's Art Project: Sky Wizard

Earlier this year, Maria surprised me when I returned from a business trip to discover she'd repainted our living room, dining room, and entryway. As part of reworking the look of our living room, she also put a sign over the fireplace saying "Greg's Artwork Here." So for the past six months I've been contemplating ideas for a picture to potentially hang over our fireplace in the center of the room.

I've played with a bunch of ideas, but this is the one that has stuck with me the most. Back in 2001 after finishing my last original piece of art, I started another piece that I never finished featuring a wizard similar to the one in the above painting. It was an influence from another artist that I really admire, James Christensen, a fantasy artist who has painted similarly proportioned people. I latched on to the idea of the cartoonish big-nosed, long bearded wizard with no discernible eyes, and have sketched him in many different scenarios while bored in various meetings over the years. I decided even though I failed to finish an earlier piece, that I'd try again.

General Conference is always a great weekend for projects for me. 8 hours of watching church on TV requires my hands to be busy. In searching for a project to do I figured I'd finally try and start a picture that the mantelpiece has been waiting for since coming home from that business trip earlier in the year.

The one missing piece of the painting was the background. I had this idea of the wizard tying himself to a balloon, but couldn't figure out what he was floating over. I had some various ideas, but wasn't really sure how any of them would look. Then, while looking for inspiration, I found a recent Thomas Kinkade painting called "Tinker Bell and Peter Pan Fly To Neverland" and in the top left corner, making up less than 20% of the overall painting was a representation of Neverland that seemed to just perfectly fit the background I had in mind for my Wizard.
I took my sketches and the detail from the Kinkade painting and blended them together in my own picture. I worked on it from October 3rd through October 7th 2009. Each time I finished a drawing session, I would take a photo of the progress. I compiled the photos into the following YouTube video which shows a pseudo-time lapse version of the creation of the painting.

Now all that's left is to matte and frame it and we can finally have something to display on the mantelpiece.

Comments

Mandy said…
what talent! great work... it will be treasured for years to come, i'm sure!!!
Remodelaholic said…
IT looks SO great! I can't wait to see it in real life!
Sharie said…
Beautiful! I still want a picture from you some day. You have 2+ years to be thinking about something :).
I love it! You have quite a talent1
April said…
That's really impressive!