You can never go home again

I spent most of my growing-up years in a tiny house in Keller, TX, out in the country. I was in the area a little over a week ago, so I thought I'd stop by and see what it looked like currently. I knew the house had been torn down, but it was still very strange to see how different it was!

This fancy-looking yard with a sidewalk meandering through it was our front lawn, and part of our neighbor's. A few of the original trees are still there. Even some persistent iris plants that used to be in front of our neighbor's porch are holding fast!

We used to park our cars over to the side of the house here.
'
A back-in-the-day shot for comparison

This very pared-down juniper used to be in our front yard, too. In the distance you can see a corner which is much more gentle now - it used to have a steep ditch behind it, and we'd get frequent drunk or careless drivers getting stuck in it.

A view from the side of the house 20 or years ago

Amusingly, this yucca plant is still there that used to be in our neighbor's yard. I wonder if they tried to kill it and gave up? It seems a little out of place.

Since I was on a nostalgic kick, I swung by the subdivision we'd lived in for a year and half or so when I was 7-8. It's amazing how lettering can date a sign! Although by now it's probably "retro" and therefore cool, right? (;

Here's the house we rented.

Here we are in 1981 or so in front of the house. I don't think I actually have any pictures that show the outside of the house from that era!

I remember the streets being too sunny, with just little spindly trees. It's amazing how 25+ years can change that!

And here's the school my brother Clark and I walked to, a little over a third of a mile away. Ah, memories. Mostly bad ones. Boo!

And that concludes this episode of "You can never go home again, or if you do, you'll just feel all old and stuff."

Comments

Unknown said…
Thanks, Maria.

By the way, those are lilies, not yucca. At the right time of year, it is very obvious.

Did we plant that tree on Blue Flag Lane?
Yeah, we drove by there on our way home. Couldn't get my bearings. Thanks for posting those pics.