2009 Halloween

Okay, so this post is a little late. Partly because I've been really busy, and partly because with October over everyone else in the house has already moved on to Christmas.

So here's a little recap of our festivities last month.

A week before Halloween, Maria and I were invited to a Halloween costume party by our friends Justin and Cassity. Having been fairly disappointed in my costume last year--due to my own lack of effort--I was determined to come up with something good this year. So after looking around for ideas online, I came up with my own idea to go dressed as my Facebook page. So I found a good sized cardboard, mocked up a page on the computer, printed it, cut out a hole and left plenty of room so people could leave comments on my page. It would be an interactive costume! Maria was a little less enthusiastic, but I helped her with her costume, which was entitled "Liar Liar":


(Thanks to Cassity for the pictures!)

On the day before Halloween we carved our pumpkin. The boys brain stormed ideas and then we voted. A "happy" skeleton face was what was decided on. After sketching the idea out on the whiteboard, we went to work recreating it on the real thing. Spencer and Colin did most of the work hollowing out while I did the cutting.

That same night we had a Trunk-or-Treat activity at the church. So the boys and I all got in costume. Maria preferred not to dress up again, but to hand out candy and take lots of pictures instead.

Spencer dressed as a gladiator:
Colin was Little Mac, the boxer from the game "Punch Out":
Here's another of me with my Facebook page:

And here's the three of us together:
Here's a couple pictures of our "trunk":


By the end of the evening, the boys had plenty of candy (before real trick-or-treating the next night!) and I had gathered many comments on my Facebook page:


Following Trunk-or-Treat we went to a neighborhood home that was putting on a spook alley. They asked us if we wanted the extreme-scary version or the fun version. The boys picked "fun." So instead of people jumping out and screaming "boo" as we went through haunted back yard, they said "Hi there!" and "Hello." They were very friendly as they tried to scare us. Here's a picture of a ghoul over their garage as we waited in line:

On Halloween night we went out for trick-or-treating. I left behind my Facebook page to be able to help the boys better. Instead I wore a towel on my shoulder and acted as Little Mac's boxing coach instead. Just across the street from us, a community church was having a carnival, so we went there first where they boys played some games and enjoyed a bounce house and inflatable slide:

It was pretty popular and there were cars up and down the street from people who came to participate. We got out before too long and headed over to another neighborhood to go trick-or-treating. Our own neighborhood is too dark with little participation, so we usually go abroad to find the best candy collecting options. We went around a block and got a pretty good assortment of candy to add to the previous night. So after stopping to visit our friends the Gees (where they gave me a wonderful bowl of home made potato soup!) we went home to sort the candy and pass out from the inevitable crash after the sugar rush.

All-in-all it was a pretty fun Halloween!

Comments

Sharla said…
Happy Halloween! You guys really do go all out :). Great costumes!
Cindy Killebrew said…
You guys just oooze with creativity! I loved the costume ideas. I love Halloween!
Kirchner Family said…
Next year I am asking you for advice for costume ideas - you are amazing!
April said…
You guys look great! I especially love the idea of the facebook page costume. So creative!