And then there were five . . .

This post was originally written on Thursday - it just took me a little while to actually finish it!

Jaden is a week old today. I'm going to celebrate by finally blogging about his birth and the past week that we've had him to enjoy. He is so precious - the entire family just adores him!

Last Thursday, August 5th, we dropped Colin and Spencer off at the Gee's house for the day (thank you!) and then headed to the hospital for a 7:30 induction. I'd heard about people having to wait for a bed to be free, so I was relieved when they got me right in.

Me right before being hooked up to everything

They had my pitocin hooked up, and then my doctor came and broke my water around 9:00. I asked a nurse how long I should expect to wait for contractions to start, and she said probably around 1-2 hours. I was surprised when my contractions started only 15 or 20 minutes later! They started at 1 minute long and 4-5 minutes apart, and I progressed really fast. My friend Suzanne came to the hospital for support and helped talk me through the contractions, which REALLY helped me relax.

Suzanne and me

Then my new best friend the anesthesiologist showed up and gave me an epidural, so I was able to smile again and converse normally. I think the funniest part of the whole process was when the nurses weren't even going to check me, but finally did and found out I was already completely dilated and ready to have the baby! Everything went pretty quickly after that, and Jaden was born at 3:08 pm, weighing in at 8 pounds 15 ounces and 21.5" long.

Brand-new Jaden, not looking too thrilled about the whole process

Me right after birth, looking more drugged out than I thought I was. I was happy, though!


Proud daddy holding Jaden

Me finally getting to meet Jaden with Greg looking on

Dr. Merrill and Jaden

Aubrey brought the kids up to see the baby, and they all brought in cards and flowers and a balloon and chocolates - so sweet! They got to be there for his first bath and hold him for a minute, then she took them back home until Greg went to get them at bedtime.

The four Whitehead boys together for the first time

Greg and Jaden - he looks like he's smiling!

Spencer holding Jaden for the first time

Colin holding Jaden for the first time

Aubrey holding Jaden

Jaden enjoying a nice back scrub with his first bath

Me holding Jaden after his bath

One of the things that really impressed me about the hospital was what I believe they called their "baby-friendly" policy - they had me hold Jaden skin-to-skin for a nice long while soon after he was born, and they really encouraged rooming in and having the baby for at least 23 out of 24 hours. It was wonderful having him right there. What was NOT so wonderful was the stinking hospital bed, which constantly was automatically inflating and deflating noisily, which I couldn't sleep through at all. I finally unplugged the bed, but that was even worse since it left me sleeping in a crater. I got maybe two hours of sleep that night. Needless to say, I was all for checking out early and not having to suffer through another night at the hospital! (:

Jaden getting his hearing tested

At some point in the night when Jaden was quietly awake and super-cute

Friday morning Greg brought the boys up to spend time with us. Later in the morning my brother and sister-in-law, Clark and Sandi, came to visit and hold Jaden, and my parents came up for a while as well.

Colin and Spencer having fun tickling Jaden

Clark holding Jaden

Sandi holding Jaden

My dad Fred holding Jaden

My mom Louise holding Jaden

Jaden and I were both pronounced well enough to leave, so we headed home around 6:30 or so. It was WONDERFUL to be back in my own bed again! Still not a lot of sleep, but at least I was comfortable! (:

Finally at home and holding my sweet little munchkin. This is his very favorite place to sleep.

So cute cute cute!

My parents stayed for almost a week. It was good to have them here - in fact, my dad wasn't able to be around when the other two were born, so this is the first newborn of mine he's seen. My dad being who he is (must be productive ALWAYS!) saw that my shower was leaking and the tiles falling off, so he ripped the wall out Monday and spent the next three days in my bathroom fixing it. It caused a certain amount of construction debris and stress, especially when he used a grinder in the dining room and inadvertently covered the house in gray dust, but I truly appreciate having a functional shower again! My mom helped out with cooking and cleaning and holding the baby and such.


Now, here are lots more pictures of Jaden! Enjoy!












Comments

Sharie said…
Love it! Almost makes me baby hungry :). Congratulations!!!!
Jeffrey said…
Thanks for posting this! I've been wanting to call or catch you online all week to get some details, but haven't had the chance. Glad all is well with baby Colin, I mean Jaden.
Remodelaholic said…
Yeah for more pictures! He has so much hair! and is just so sweet and adorable in every way! And it definitely looks like he is getting all the love and attention that he should! I hope you are getting a little more sleep, I agree that staying at the hospital was about the worst time ever for sleep...
April said…
Congratulations! He is SO adorable. I wish I could hold him! I'm glad that everything went so well. So nice that your parents were able to visit for a while. Get some rest!
Your new baby is SO adorable! Congratulations! I can't believe how much hair he has! In the light, it looks totally blonde. I can't believe how awake and aware he looks. It looks like you are all enjoying your precious new addition! I hope you have a great recovery. :)