Piano Arrangement: "Once In Royal David's City"


This year for our church's Christmas program I was asked if I would perform a piano solo for the song "Once in Royal David's City." I wasn't all that familiar with this particular Christmas hymn, but I agreed to look at it.

After sitting down and playing through it a few times, I wasn't particularly excited about performing a solo to this hymn. It's a nice song, but not all that interesting if I were just to play it as it sounded right from the hymn book. So I decided to start improvising. I went through the song and wrote out all the chords and then just started playing with it. Eventually I came up with the arrangment that you hear in the video above.

By the time I got everything figured out, I was actually quite excited by the song. I recorded the arrangement, and then, by request of my sister Sharie, I turned the arrangement into sheet music. For the actual performance, I continued to just use the hymn book as my guide and play from memory, but this sheet music pretty much captures what I played.

Here's the link for the sheet music.

The actual performance last Sunday, along with the rest of the Christmas program went quite well. I was actually shaking a bit as I was playing the song, not because I was nervous, but because I was emotionally moved by all the great music from the program. I was also supposed to accompany a men's quartet who were singing "While Shepherds Watched Their Flocks By Night" but our lead singer got sick so I ended up taking his place at the last moment while someone else jumped into accompany us. There were a lot of other great performance that really made this one of the best Christmas programs we've had in years.

Comments

April said…
That is really beautiful. I'm glad you posted the link. I want to give it a try.
loves2spin said…
We really enjoyed this. Thank you for sharing.