Greg Fitness Update: 70 pounds

Starting weight: 314
Today's weight: 244
Total loss: 70 pounds.

Seventy pounds = a decent sized dog, an *extremely* large fish, a young elementary school kid, and the weight limit over which most airlines and delivery trucks will stop taking your stuff.

It's been nearly a year since I started my weight loss journey.  Unfortunately I didn't record the day that I decided to make the change.  Mainly because I'd tried many things in the past and they'd never worked and I wasn't going to publicize yet another failed effort.  By the time I realized things were working this time, I was already a bit fuzzy on the dates when things started.  Essentially, the turning point was last February when Maria was investigating joining a gym (before her pregnancy put a halt to most of her physical activity) and we'd just started watching "The Biggest Loser."  I started a weekly volleyball game at church and actually bought a pair of tennis shoes rather than the sandals that I normally wore on weekends.

Anyway, that's all last year.  What's been happening more recently?  Well, from the last post on this blog, you can see the biggest event was that I ran a 10K a little over a week ago.  That was something that a year ago was inconceivable and completely crazy.  Now, I'm starting to think about looking beyond the 10K and wondering how much further I can go.

I'm currently on my 4th pair of shoes since last year and on my third belt.  I can now wear everything in my closet including clothes that I owned and never wore because I was too big at the time I acquired them (like concert T-shirts).  The only thing I don't fit is a couple new pairs of pants that I purchased recently that are way too small that I fully expect to fit into in the next few months.

The hardest part of this past 10 pounds was the weather.  January and February had some really cold weather including extremely icy days that made it impossible to go out and run in.  On top of that, my family has been sick multiple times which I've somehow managed to avoid myself, but having everyone else sick in the house doesn't exactly keep you energized to go work out.  It was mainly the thought of the upcoming 10K Cowtown race that kept me pushing myself so I would be ready.

The last couple weeks, though, we have had some really nice days, and I've been able to get out running more regularly.  On top of that, my family has started the couch-to-5k program and I've gone out running with them as well, usually pushing Jaden in a special jogging stroller we have for him.  Unfortunately, Maria has just recently hurt her foot which has put the running program on hold for a few weeks while she recovers.

I also had a chance while visiting friends in Houston to actually go on a long run with someone for the first time.  Up until now, almost all of my runs have been alone.  This time I went out for a 5 mile run with my old college friend Rex.  He'd been running a couple miles regularly with his daughter, but had never gone that far before.  I was a bit apprehensive running with someone because I wasn't used to it, but it was actually quite enjoyable and we both managed to push each other to do better than either of us would have done alone.

Anyway, 70 pounds achieved, still another 30 to go to reach the 100 mark. Can I still get there by summer? We'll see, but it's getting closer than ever now.

Comments

CourtneyB said…
I love the moving pictures at the bottom - so cool! I am SO proud of you, and I know you will reach your goal and then some! Love you!
April said…
Wow, 70 pounds is A LOT. That is incredible!!!
Sharie said…
I'd love to see another before & after shot!