Greg Fitness Update: 1 Year of Running

Greg: April 2010/April 2011
On April 30th 2010, I was in Utah at the end of a work conference I was attending there and decided today would be the day that I start the Couch-to-5K running program once and for all.  I'd been playing a bit on treadmills, but this was my first out-door honest-to-goodness run.  I'd never run before in my life without a gym coach yelling at me.  The longest I'd ever "run" was the mile and a half--which I never fully ran, I merely ran past the coach and would usually walk the back half of the lap.

Greg's birthdays 2010/2011
Today is April 30th 2011.  I've lost 75 pounds on my way to a full 100, and feel better than ever.  I've accomplished a lot in the past year running-wise.  I've hit quite a number of milestones.  As I mentioned above, I'd never run more than a mile and a half in my life.  And since I usually walked a good part of that, probably never run more than a full mile straight ever.  I wasn't even sure I could run, but I was desperate to find something that could help me start losing some weight.

I worked on the Couch-to-5K program over the summer.  I remember the first time I was supposed to run 20 minutes straight.  I could barely sleep that night, but the next day I made it.  By the end, I was running 30 minutes straight.  I was far from the 5K that the plan promised, but distance aside, I was increasing my time.  I started the Couch-to-5K over again, this time replacing the cycles of walking and jogging with jogging and faster jogging.  I also started increasing my running time with longer runs on the weekend.  Eventually, I got to the full 5k (3 miles) and moved on.  By fall I was doing 4 miles, by winter 5 miles, by spring 6 miles.  In February I competed in my first 10K race at the Fort Worth Cowtown races.

Now, a year later, my longest running distance is 6.5 miles (which I ran yesterday.)  I regularly run 3 miles several times a week and do a long run on the weekends.  I've run for an hour and fifteen minutes straight. I've run a single mile in under 10 minutes several times, but I'm still working towards that 30 minute 5K (and hour 10K).

A year came make a big difference.  I suppose if I formally pushed myself a little better I'd be running marathons by now, but I'm still quite surprised and happy by how far I've come.  Just 25 more pounds to go...

Comments

Jon said…
Great post Greg. It's awesome how much you've done this past year.
Donelle said…
Greg, you are so amazing! Way to go and inspire the rest of us!!!