Greg Fitness Update: 80 pounds!

Starting weight: 314
Current weight: 234
Total weight loss: 80 pounds.

See that picture?  That's a picture of one of the largest burgers in the world.  Made with 80 pounds of beef.  That burger also happens to have a pound of lettuce, ketchup, relish, mustard, mayonnaise, 160 slices of cheese, five onions, 12 tomatoes, 2 pounds of banana peppers, 33 pickles, and a 30-pound bun.  Sounds good, right?  I can't deny my mouth isn't watering just a little bit.  Regardless, that patty in the middle is how much weight I've lost as of today.


Wow, this past 10 pounds has been extremely difficult!  It's been nearly four months since I hit 70 pounds. I feel like in total I've lost way more than 10 pounds, its just that I've been losing the same pounds over and over again. I'll go for almost a month with no weight loss at all, and then suddenly drop several pounds all at once.  It's odd that after all this time I still can't figure my body out, and yet somehow in the long run I'm still managing to lose weight.

Some of the significant events in the past few months have been going to a water park and actually being able to go down the slides with my boys knowing I was now well below the upper weight limit that I exceeded the year before.  We also celebrated my birthday with the active and long-since-abandoned activity of rock climbing.  We went to an indoor rock-climbing place in Grapevine where we had a blast and wore ourselves out.

I've gone on several business trips as well and found myself sitting comfortably more or less in the once dreaded middle seat of the plane.  It's such a weird feeling putting on a seat belt on a plane and then actually pulling it tighter.  Plus, the tray actually comes down all the way instead of resting on my belly part-way down!

I've been noticing more and more a marked increase in my energy and stamina.  A couple weeks ago I mowed our entire lawn, both front and back in a single go on a Texas early summer afternoon!  I have never done that in the nine years we've lived here in Texas.

I've also been slowly replacing my wardrobe with smaller versions of clothes.  I'm out of the 40s in pant-size now and down to a regular X instead of the 3X I was wearing last year.  A couple days ago I was wearing mostly new, better fitting clothes on my way to work (I usually walk to work for those that don't know) and I was stopped twice by different neighbors asking me how much weight I'd lost.  So it's obvious enough now that relative strangers with only a passing acquaintance with me have noticed how much I've changed.

I'm also finding now as my weight gets lower that watching what I eat seems to be much more important.  I think a large part of the reason it's taken me this long to lose this past 10 pounds is that I've been a bit more casual with my eating (what with all the business trips, birthday, Father's Day and some other occasions).  I've also got to work hard to keep myself from running up extra calories from random snacking.  I'm trying not to have to get strict in my calorie counting, but I may have to if I want to step things up.

I'm continuing my normal routine of running and exercise.  I'm still trying to run at least three times a week and then I'll do a cardio or sculpting DVD regularly as well.  It gets a bit old running through the same DVDs all the time, so if anyone who reads this has suggestions beyond Biggest Loser Power Sculpt & Cardio Max and P90 discs, I'd love to hear them.

Anyway, 20 more pounds to go till I hit 100.  In my 70-pound post I was hoping to get there in the summer, now I'm wondering if I'll make it before the end of the year.  Hopefully I'll make it by then, but it's gonna be tough.

Below: Me one year ago and me as of last month.

Comments

April said…
That is truly incredible! 80 pounds is a lot! Way to go!
Jeffrey said…
I've got some "Hooked on Aerobics" from the 80s recorded. And on a google search just now, it looks like YouTube has a few segments. Sometimes you can mute it and put on your own music for the active part and cool down parts.