Another Catch Up Post from Greg

There's still a few things that were overlooked in the past few months that I've needed to get around to posting on.

First, in April we went to the Scarborough Renaissance Festival. We've been several times and try to make it a point to visit every other year or so. It's always full of a lot of great shows and activities to make for an enjoyable day. This year we went early in April so it was still relatively cool.

This year I sort of dressed up. The festival is always full of people in costume and I had a nice puffy sleeve shirt that I used at Halloween last year that more or less fit the theme, minus the blue jeans.
Inside the park, the boys were quickly abducted by a Mime. Luckily we got them away quickly. More on that guy later...
We found a dueling pen where they boys were taught how to duel and then left to attack each other with padded swords.As you can see below, sometimes the advertising for the shows was nearly as entertaining as the shows themselves.
The boys helped out with a special Easter-themed chalk ground mural:
At the same time, I was trying out some dragons and griffens to see if any would properly fit on my shoulder.We let the boys try out a giant maze. They had to find a hidden bell in the maze, ring it, then find their way back out.
We met a couple of very familiar looking knights who seemed to be a bit lost.Spencer tried his hand at jousting:Our favorite show from our previous visit was Mikael the Mime (in the second picture above.) This year he still remained our favorite show. Seldom have any of us laughed as much as we did during his forty minute show. At one point he brought Spencer up to interact with him. Spencer was laughing so hard he had to wipe tears from his eyes:He had Spencer play fetch with a large doggy bone. Why? I don't know, but it was funny.After the third time, he threw the bone way up onto a netting that covered the audience:
This is one of the more picturesque spots at the Festival:
All-in-all we had a great time on a wonderful day for the the festival.

----

For Easter, the boys dyed & decorated some eggs. (I originally mistyped the word 'died' which completely changed the impact of that sentence):
We had a backyard hunt for the eggs as well as for Easter candy and small toys. Here's some pictures of the hunt:
----

Finally, since I wasn't going to be home on my actual birthday, we celebrated a little earlier in April. I turned 35 this year advancing into a less sought-after marketing bracket. I got some presents off my wish list such as the Weird Al Show DVD set; the last published Robert Jordan book that I never got around to (since he died before completing the series, though someone else has taken over the job of trying to write the last books); a James Christensen jigsaw puzzle of my favorite image, "The College of Mystical Knowledge"; an expression pedal for my keyboards; and, my personal favorite, a home made Root Beer kit!

Here I am in the traditional birthday garb of a crown and scepter with my birthday cake that the boys decorated:
Here the boys are showing the cool Birthday cards they made me:Here I am opening a present:Here's my Root Beer kit. So far I've made two batches:I also got a few earlier and later presents, many of which I've already posted about, including a new synthesizer module, some money and gift card from my parents, a Walter Wick picture book, a puzzle and figurine from the art festival, and, of course, a newly painted living room and dining room. I'm guessing there are probably even other presents I've forgotten about, but the point is, I have a family that really loves me and one the makes me feel appreciated. That's the best gift of all.

Comments

Sharie said…
hmm, we'll have to plan a trip around the same time as that Renaissance festival, that looks like so much fun!
CourtneyB said…
Great post. Sorry you had to be the one to post about your own birthday. (: I think you forgot the keyboard stands, but were fairly comprehensive otherwise!
Gumby said…
Sharie, it usually runs from April through May each year. We'd love to have someone else to go with us, and you guys are always welcome any time.